Tag Archives: book

Zuwang Quan – People From Ningbo

Zuwang Quan(Chinese:全祖望)(1705-1755),alias Xie Shan, from Shagang village, Dongqiao township, Yin county (now Ningbo Yinzhou District), Ningbo City, Zhejiang province, China(Chinese: 鄞县洞桥乡沙港口村). A famous historian and writer in the Qing Dynasty, an important representative of Zhedong school.

He was Gong Sheng in Yong Zheng seven years (1729), Jinshi in Qianlong first year (1736)(Chinese: 雍正七年(1729年)贡生,乾隆元年(1736年)进士), however, he was not rich and often got sick.

He published a lot of books, in total he left the world about 35 books, more than 400 volumes. Some of them were published after the age of 40: 100 volumes of the Song Yuan study cases(Chinese:《宋元学案》100卷) ,40 volumes of Commentary on the Waterways Classic Proofread by Quan(Chinese: 《全校水经注》40卷). He wrote some poems, essays, academy articles, for example: The “Mei Hua Ling”.

quanzuwang book
quanzuwang book

quanzuwang book
quanzuwang book
old house of quan zu wang
old house of quan zu wang
quan zu wang old house
quan zu wang old house
quan zuwang old house
quan zuwang old house
quanzuwang old house
quanzuwang old house

quanzuwang book and old house
quanzuwang book and old house

Word:
进士 [jìn shì]

[a successful candidate in the highest imperial examinations]

贡生 [gòng shēng]

[senior licentiate in feudal China]

Zongxi huang – People From Ningbo

Zongxi huang(Chinese: 黄宗羲)(1610.9.24-1695.8.12)

He was historians, thinkers, geographers, astronomers, historians and educationists In the late Ming and early Qing Dynasties. Zongxi Huang is extremely learned, profound in thought, rich in writing, and has written more than 50 books in his lifetime, more than 300 volumes, including :《明儒学案》《宋元学案》《明夷待访录》《孟子师说》《葬制或问》《破邪论》《思旧录》《易学象数论》《明文海》《行朝录》《今水经》《大统历推法》《四明山志》

His father is one of “The seven gentleman of the Donglin”, his mother is a daughter of a famous book collector. He himself, together with Gu Yanwu and Wang Fuzhi was called as “the three great thinkers in the late Ming and early Qing”, and together with his brother Huang Zongyan and Huang Zonghui was called as “East Zhejiang Sanhuang”; and together with Gu Yanwu, Fang Yizhi, Wang Fuzhi, Zhu Shunshui, was called as “the five people in the late Ming and early Qing Dynasty”, also known as the “father of Chinese thought enlightenment”. Together with Li Yong from Shannxi and Sun Qifeng from Rongcheng, and was called as “the three great Confucian scholars in the sea”. (Chinese:“东林七君子”黄尊素长子。与顾炎武、王夫之并称“明末清初三大思想家”;与弟黄宗炎、黄宗会号称“浙东三黄”;与顾炎武、方以智、王夫之、朱舜水并称为“明末清初五大家”,亦有“中国思想启蒙之父”之誉。与陕西李颙、直隶容城孙奇逢并称“海内三大鸿儒”。)

From above titles, we can see that he was a very social schoolar.

huangzongxi tomb
huangzongxi tomb
huangzongxi book
huangzongxi book
huangzongxi four of yuyao
huangzongxi four of yuyao

Shunshui Zhu – People From Ningbo

Shunshui Zhu(Chinese:朱舜水)(1600~1682), a scholar and an educator.

After Ming dynasty was over, he went to Japan and lived there. Then he gave lectures in Nagasaki and Edo (now Tokyo) and disseminating Confucianism, which was highly valued by Japanese politicians. He is the author of the book “Zhu Shunshui collection”.

There’s a tomb of him in Fant tower Park, Songjiang district,Shanghai.He was one of Four from Yuyao, Ningbo in his time.

zhushunshui book
zhushunshui book

zhushunshui house
zhushunshui house

Tao Tang’s old house

Tao Tang (Chinese: 唐弢) was born in 1913/3/3 in Zhenghai(currently Jiangbei district), Ningbo, China. He died in 1992 in Beijing. He is a writer and book collector. His collection of books has a large number of 43,000, including 16,700 kinds of magazines, 26,300 kinds of books. He is No.1 book collector of China.

Tao’s father was cheated by a cooperator in paper when Tao is a child, so he decided to send Tao to the school. Some local people of his hometown said that farmer’s child will not be able to come out, Tao tried to write some poems to prove his education value. However, his father got heavy sick psychologically because of the bad economic condition. So he had to stop his education from middle school in grade seven, and went to the post office as a letter picker. He kept writing in his spare time. In 1978, he became the part-time profession of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

His old house was not protected well, and near it lives some families…well, because it’s a house once built by a poor family, so it does not have a good looking, which visitors want to pay visiting from a long distance.

tangtao's old house
tangtao’s old house

Dong’s paediatrics

Dong’s paediatrics (Chinese:董氏儿科 ) is a representative item of national intangible cultural heritage, and a representative genre of paediatrics. The origin of Dong’s paediatrics should be mentioned more than 200 years ago.

Dong’s family jump village (Chinese: 董家跳村) is a place where men of talent come out in succession. Dong’s paediatrics started from this village. It has seven paediatrics generations now.

dong's paediatrics history
dong’s paediatrics history

In the winter of 1958, measles became pandemic in Shanghai, the total number of patients got more than 500,000, and the death rate once reached 10%. At that time, some of the pandemic kids patients turned better obviously but got heavier sick right after even to death. Tingyao Dong (Chinese:董廷瑶) found that most of them only have red dots on the bodies, but appeared pale and livid on the faces, which were far different from the normal kids patient that with faces fully red. He thought that it was caused by Qi and blood blocked, rash poison can not be released,to heal this, we must release the rash poison. So, he brought out a solution to it: a detoxification and activating blood soup from the Chinese traditional medical prescription, add some tastes for the kids patients to eat, and got very good result. He asked people to use a large water cylinder to make the medicines, and distributed into small bottles for the kids patients, which resulted rapid declining in mortality, the Measles crisis escaped away then.

In 1943, Tingyao Dong sent his son Weihe Dont(Chinese: 董维和) from Shanghai back to home, started a Paediatric clinic at No. 2 of East Horse Lane(Chinese: 东马弄2号) in Ningbo.

The Paediatric team published two books for paediatrics: 《董廷瑶儿科医案精选》和《董氏儿科》

Tianyige

tianyige01

tianyige02tianyige03

tianyige04A short walk from Yuehu Park will take you to Ningbo’s most famous landmark: Tianyige Library. As the oldest private library in China, it has stood in the city center for more than 450 years, passing from generation to generation after it was built by Fan Qin, a vice minister of war in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). The two-story wooden structure was the blueprint for royal libraries, including the one in the Forbidden City built in Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). The historic library’s books have been moved to a nearby modern facility for better protection, but you can still have a look at the building itself, feeling the contrast between its ancient appearance and how surprisingly well it protected its books for centuries. If you are a fan of mahjong, there is a mahjong museum next to the library, explaining the history and development of the most popular board game in China.
Tianyige(Chinese: 天一阁) Library , the largest private library in China, got its name from “I Ching,” or the “Book of Changes.” According to this classic book of yin and yang, which may date back to the second millennium BC, a combination of “tian” (sky) and “yi” (one) gives birth to water.

This magical name has protected the library and its books from fire for more than 400 years.

Before the trip, I’d heard a lot about Tianyige, such as it’s the oldest private library in China and has more than 300,000 historical books.

However, the building itself was quite different from what I’d imagined — a modest two-story wooden structure.

From its appearance, it could be taken for an ordinary residence of a big family.

The library pavilion was built in 1561 as a private study for Fan Qin, who served as secretary of defense during Emperor Jiajing’s reign in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). It was not uncommon for ancient Chinese scholars to possess private libraries. Books were a sign of wealth and cultural status, and Fan was an avid collector.

The Fan family adopted a discipline that no one in the family was allowed to claim any of the books as personal property, and books were prohibited from being taken out of the pavilion. The collection today is the most extensive accumulation of information on the education, economic development, literary and revolutionary history of Ningbo.

Tianyige Museum, which includes the library, a living area and the garden of the Fan family, covers over 31,000 square meters. Some of the rooms have been transformed into exhibition halls, where ancient Chinese manuscripts are available for public viewing. The garden itself is worth a visit. Its traditional style provides tranquil solace for all who walk there.

The modern museum is now home to around 300,000 volumes — and rising. With high-tech temperature and humidity control equipment and huge modern shelves, these historic books are finally safe.

One third of the books are already digitalized so book lovers can flip through the yellowed pages on the museum’s website without touching the actual volume.

Located in the city of Ningbo, Zhejiang province, Tian Yi Ge Museum is China’s oldest private library existing today. It is also Asia’s oldest library.

The construction of Tian Yi Ge, started in 1561 and finished in 1586, was led by Fan Qing, a government official during the mid-Ming Dynasty.

Fan Qing loved collecting ancient books. After receiving the collection from Wanjuan Tower in Jin County, he had a total collection of more than 70,000 books. In 1772, Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty ordered the compilation of the Si Ku Quan Shu (Complete Library in the Four Branches of Literature) to be made. Fan Maozhu, a descendant of Fan Qing, contributed 638 books.

Although there are many book collectors, not so many of them can preserve their collections for more than 100 years. The reason why Fan’s collection is still preserved to this day is closely related to his way of management. One of the early rules of Tian Yi Ge was that no one outside the Fan family should be admitted into the library, keeping it unknown from the outside word. It was not until 1673 that Huang Zongxi, a great philosopher and historian, became the first “outsider” to have the privilege of going into the library and reading the many books in the collection. After the visit, Huang listed the books, which were not circulated in society, and wrote an article documenting his visit to the library.